Reflection, green tea, and My Sassy Girl

{ Tuesday, December 14, 2010 }
My winter break is becoming as a seamless haze of sleep-filled days, reading for hours on end, and watching films new and old alike. Ah, the freedom of a month-long life hiatus!
Yesterday I ventured away from my all too cozy room to shop with my best friend, Carrie.
I wound up coming home with an early Christmas present to myself- a new journal.
For some odd reason beyond my comprehension, I'm extremely particular when it comes to journals. For starters, they must be modest in size, leather, and have a stitched binding. A spiral bound journal feels so elementary to me, like I'm about to start an entry with "Dear diary..." and gush about a boy I like. The journal must also contain lined pages, which help in keeping my thoughts organized and orderly. Last night I spent two hours writing and woke up feeling rejuvenated and brand new. I find it magical how such a simple outlet of expression can detox the mind and soul.
This morning I woke up, brewed my standard hot green tea, and sat down to watch one of my favorite films of all time, My Sassy Girl. Although I am not one for "chick flicks," this movie doesn't necessarily fall into that category. For one, it depicts love from the perspective of a guy, which I find refreshing and interesting. All too often we are subjected to viewing love from the eyes of a girl who is overly-emotional, delusional and embarrassingly shallow. My Sassy Girl offers viewers an intimate peek into an unconventional relationship, which is exhilarating and heartbreaking all at once. My Sassy Girl happens to be an American adaptation of a Korean film under the same name- pretty interesting, huh?
I feel as though the more I watch these films, the more my perceptions of romance become overtly hopeful and distorted. It makes me wonder if we are all just hopeless romantics, aimlessly floating in shallow waters, helpless and problematic, shouting a desperate S.O.S at the top of our lungs just to be grasped. Maybe one day I'll know.
However, one thing I do know for certain is that this is the best scene of the entire film! The day I play the slap game will be a great day.

Happy viewing,

-Lindsay

1 comments:

Tarver said...

Why have I never seen this?

Bring it back to school, I want to watch!

Post a Comment