Out with the old, in with the gold: New year's resolutions

{ Thursday, December 23, 2010 }
The finality of this year is hard to swallow, yet the end is impending- and fast. Every year I set lofty resolutions for myself, and often stick to a handful of them. I truly believe 2011 is going to be a magical and rewarding year, seeing as I'm a firm believer in consistent 11:11 p.m. wishes, and the number 11 is generally cool in my book. Publicly posting my resolutions for the year to come will (hopefully) motivate me to accomplish everything my heart desires, and then some. Some are silly, some are serious, and some are downright ridiculous. However, I am set on making this a memorable and successful future 365 day adventure.
1.) Say "yes" significantly more than "no." Sure, I'm not going to turn into a regular Jim Carrey "Yes Man," but when you think about it, it is much easier to say no than yes out of laziness. Whether it be a impromptu drive around town, an invite, or a potentially awkward date, I'm going to start saying "yes" rather than my usual "no."


2.) Stop getting my heart set on anything, in general. I've always had a problem getting my heart and mind set on something, only to have things not work out in my favor. Not only is it an extreme waste of time and energy, but it is simply no fun! I will no longer sit around waiting for an all-too-oblivious guy to notice how much I care, nor will I be completely crushed if future travel plans don't work out. Sometimes the best things are unpredictable and uncertain. We move on.



3.) Focus on my grades and my future career. Although my friends already taunt me for being too obsessed and consumed with my future plans, I believe you have to prepare for success at a considerably young age. I aim to get a few more editorial internships under my belt in 2011, while attempting to maintain a high GPA. Mediocrity isn't an option. (Hey, Economics and Statistics- you better not ruin this for me!)

4.) Write at least 1,000 words per week. I think regular writing serves as a healthy cleanse of the mind, as well as a wonderful creative outlet. Writing is my natural response to sadness, happiness, and everything in between. Whether through personal journal entries, blog posts, or poems, I aim to pen at least a thousand words each and every week of the upcoming year.

5.) On the same note...read one book per week. According to my lifelong writing inspiration, Stephen King, good writers are even better readers. Thankfully, I believe I own enough of his works to last me through the year and beyond!

6.) For the love of God, stop falling for your "type," Lindsay. Indeed, I have heard this exact expression many times from my wonderful and completely lovable suite mates! Their second favorite expression? "You're always into guys who look like they could possibly be gay. Just saying." C'mon, guys! Harsh.

7.) Purchase more thrift store clothing than retail clothing. I've always been a huge fan of secondhand and thrifted clothing- it's so unique and fun to wear, not to mention economical. Some of the most interesting finds are waiting in Goodwill, all priced under $5, of course.

I'm ready for you, 2011. This year has truly been the most tumultuous and rewarding of my life. 2010 dealt me a variety of cards, both good and bad. Living at home while my friends experienced freshman year away, achieving more in the writing department than I ever expected, ending a two-and-a-half year relationship, meeting some of the most incredible people at GCSU, my mom's courageous recovery, and a phone call with the president. If you had asked me a year ago if I thought any of these things would've happened, I would've called you crazy. These events all happened for a reason, whether I would like to believe that or not. I'm stronger- much stronger.

-Lindsay

0 comments:

Post a Comment