"Believers Never Die..."

{ Wednesday, February 3, 2010 }
As several of you may or may not have found out via Twitter's trending topics, online music gossip or simply through the pop culture grapevine, Fall Out Boy officially broke up today. Honestly? I'm just shy of devastation. Love them or despise them, you've heard at least a few of their songs, and maybe even had one stuck in your head for a few days. I'm trying my absolute hardest not to come off sounding like an over-zealous, adolescent teeny bopper, but when it comes to Fall Out Boy- the one band who single-handedly aided me in surviving high school- it's hard to restrain myself. Think of your favorite band. They might be obscure, a thing of the past, burning up the Top 40 charts, or a local favorite. However large or small, to you they're all yours.
I began listening to Fall Out Boy in the summer of 2005, mere weeks before entering high school. Not only were their songs catchy, but the words and crafty metaphors completely consumed me. I had never listened to music for the actual meaning and connotation of the lyrics prior to that summer, yet all of a sudden my world had changed. I spent hours with my trusty headphones, devouring and interpreting the lyrics. They were truly "the therapists pumping through your speakers, delivering just what you need." The following spring I connected with two girls through their music; one of which I'm proud to call one of my best friends to this day. When our peers ridiculed us for our love of the band, we had each other to laugh it off with.
I cannot possibly begin to describe all of the stories, inside jokes, and friendships made due to Fall Out Boy. I'll never be able to hear the words "Bedussey", "duck hunt", or "Bad Twin" without laughing hysterically. My friends and I will continue to "panda wave" even though it's complete nonsense. Every time someone at school shouts "hey, Chris!" to someone, I will still chuckle to myself.
I saw Fall Out Boy for the first time at a relatively small venue in January of 2007. It will go down in history as one of the most memorable nights of my life. Since that first show, I saw them four more times, with the final show being in April of 2009. The feeling of connectedness, whether I was in a sold-out arena of 10,000 or a small room of 30 with the band, was irreplaceable.
Meeting the guys with my best friends on November 3, 2007.

Seeing Fall Out Boy play an acoustic set in a crowd of less than 30 was surreal. It was such an intimate and memorable experience.
Even something as trivial as a wave from Patrick Stump was exciting. We felt so awesome sneaking back to the tour buses before the show, in hopes of saying thank you for their music. We waiting in freezing temperatures for hours, but it was all worthwhile.
A pretty cool car, no? The summer of 2007 was highlighted by a perfect night in June, where my friends and I stood in the wake of twilight, singing our hearts out.

Today is not a day to be remorseful or sad, but a day to celebrate my youth. To reflect upon the wonderful high school memories I made in singing crowds full of unity rather than in the back seat of a car. Fall Out Boy honestly taught me to live out loud, and that it's okay to be the underdog. They've finally grown up, and then again so have I. I'm not ashamed of the way the songs and the words own the beating of my heart. Why? Because believers never die.

Eternally in the wake of Saturday,
Lindsay

4 comments:

Lexie said...

oh my gosh! this is the sweetest entry i've read in a long time. it's so awful when something you truly love dissolves, but you're coping in the best way.

Kinsey said...

did they really? that sucks majorly. I know their music was once over played, but I remember when I was obsessed with this group. This is a sad moment. I really said moment.

I as well began listening to fall out boy weeks before I began high school which was in 2005.I had friends who had listened to them a while before they became really big.
I have never met them but that is really cool that you did!

do you know why they split was it because of Pete?
-kinsey

tess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tess said...

I've never liked the band, but your entry is honest and heartfelt. It's amazing just how meaningful they were to you. I think that's the entire point of music, to reach out someone, maybe just one person. But I've been noticing lately that as I grow older songs that I once used to like for the melody are now important to me because of their lyrics. it is like someone is in my head, having made the same mistakes I have, which is somehow comforting

Post a Comment