What's Fun, Functional, and Green All Over?

{ Tuesday, July 14, 2009 }

Well...all of this, actually. I think eco-friendly products are so neat; I'm a total junkie for them! Whether it's an organic shea butter lip balm or a recycled notebook for school, I feel compelled to buy them. And of course, the recyclable shopping totes that many retailers are now offering. Who can say no to those little landfill savers? All of these great, earth-friendly products are already in my possession (and being absolutely adored!) or on my wish list.
I stumbled upon the recycled notebook set (http://www.carolinapad.com/) while snooping through Walmart recently. I was initially surprised to see that the mega-retailer carried such cool, consumer savvy products. I was very impressed, to say the least! Being a self-confessed green tea aficionado, I just had to include my all-time favorite pick, Good Earth's Organic Green Tea(http://www.goodearthteas.com). With it's rich flavor and delicious aroma, this is some of the best tea your mug will ever get to hang out with. Have a hard time coming to terms with slopping animal by-products all over your pretty face? Same here. That's why I turn to Physician's Formula Organic Wear (http://www.physiciansformula.com) and Victoria's Secret (http://www.victoriassecret.com) cosmetics to rest assured that everything I use to glam up with only comes from our great Earth! As if the store itself isn't fabulous enough, fashion-forward retailer Forever 21 (http://www.forever21.com) is now offering their own spin on a reusable shopping tote! Each tote sports a cute, eco-friendly saying and with each one costing only $1.50, you'd better stock up on these bad boys! Why not add a pair of vegan sandals to your wardrobe along with those new totes, hm? Simple Shoes (http://www.simpleshoes.com) offers plenty of stylish options ranging from casual flats, to summer sandals, to sneakers; all of which are offered in vegan and recycled varieties.
So get out there; go green in style!
-Lindsay

2 comments:

kateroo62 said...

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Physician's Formula and Victoria Secret are definitely not green. They're able to say that because there are almost zero laws that limit what you can say about a product. Natural/Organic/Eco-Friendly/even "not tested on animals" have almost no meaning. For instance, if you see "not tested on animals" on a package, it means that the product itself was not tested on animals. It also means that the ingredients in the product might have been tested on animals.

Here are the ingredients in a Physician's Formula foundation. Yes, it all "comes from Earth." But it certainly isn't "green."
Water
Cyclopentasiloxane
Butylene Glycol
Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1/DimethiconeSqualane
Triethylhexanoin
Isononyl Isononanoate
Polyglyceryl -4 Isostearate
Caprylic/Capric Triglyeride
PEG-32
Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone
Crosspolymer
Disteardimonium Hectorite
Methicone
Polymethyl Methacylate
Propylene Glycol
Retinyl Palmitate
Tocopheryl Acetate
Disodium EDTA
Sodium Dehydroacetate
Phenoxyethanol
Methylparaben
Ethylparaben
Propylparaben
Butylparaben
may contain:
Titanium Dioxide
Iron Oxides

Just saying :)
Hope I helped. If you want to be green, why not try a brand of skin care like Suki, or buy from a local retailer?

Lindsay. Out. Loud said...

Thanks for your input! However, the Physician's Formula products I showed are ones that I own and researched before purchasing. The loose powder foundation I featured contains: MICA, MAGNESIUM STEARATE, ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH*, CALCIUM CARBONATE, KAOLIN, CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OIL*, GLYCERIN, GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL*, OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL*, ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) HULL POWDER*, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL*, GLYCERYL CAPRYLATE, CINNAMIC ACID, SODIUM LEVULINATE, TOCOPHEROL, WATER. MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE. *CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT (ECOCERT).
Sorry for the caps, I just copied it directly from the website and it turned out that way.
The loose powder and blush are both featured on Physician's Formula's Organic Wear line, and are (according to online sources): 100% Free of Harsh Chemicals. 100% Free of Synthetic Preservatives. 100% Free of Parabens. 100% Free of GMO's. 100% Free of Synthetic Colors. 100% Free of Synthetic Fragrances. 100% Cruelty Free.
You must be speaking of the ingredients used in their liquid foundation, which I do no use. I'll edit my post and make myself more clear that the products I'm promoting are only available through their Organic Wear line. Thank you! :)

Post a Comment